Weekend Wrap-up and Quilts

I love progressive weekends!  Although, that type of progress usually means I have to get up before the chickens, and I usually don’t like to do that {grin} … but, sometimes, it doesn’t matter what I like!

DH and DD#1 escaped on Saturday for a weekend confirmation retreat….and MIL left me, too….which means I had the three little ones all to myself!  Saturday didn’t start off lovely, but it did eventually get up to 80 here in the hills, so it was extremely spring-like and just a beautiful day all around.

I spent Saturday morning cleaning house.  May be a bummer for some but since I’m on a high-dose of steroids for my skin, I could actually clean without having to worry about blistering any – so, I had at it! 

After that, it was time for some quilting.  Ahhhh, just put me in my sewing room (as long as the kids are otherwise-occupied) and tell folks I’m in heaven!  I didn’t spend long in there, though, as it was lunch time and the munchkins were thinking they weren’t gonna live until they ate.  So, we opted for an eariler-than-normal lunch and then NAP – my second-favorite time of the day!  hehe

Well, wouldn’t you know it – our nap got interrupted.  One of DD#3’s friend’s mom showed up, to cart my youngest darling off to a team roping competition.  I wasn’t sure they were going to come, so I didn’t tell the nagging littlest one about the event – but, boy was she excited!  After changing into her jeans and boots, she, too, left us for the day.

Wow, now I was down to just TWO kids!

So, the son got silly …. and sillier ….



And DD#2 fed cheese balls to Flat Stanley …


Once we’d calmed back down, I was bound and determined to get that NAP – and the son-man said he wanted to nap with me, too.  ummm, right.  He didn’t nap – he just flounced around in the bed until he finally got up and went and read books! 

The rest of the evening was uneventful, as the kids had popcorn salad for dinner and watched a movie while I quilted, and we waited for the tired girlie to come home.

Sunday was Sunday school and church, and if you know me, you know that it’s usually a challenge for me to be the sole parent in the mornings.  But yesterday, I had ANGELS in my midst!  I had given the kids their lists of what they needed to do the night before, and I gotta tell ya … when I went into the house after having my wake-up time reading the news, the kids had done absolutely everything I’d asked for without fighting!  HURRAY!  That doesn’t happen often, so I celebrated the victory by taking them out to lunch after church.    Then, we came home and it was time for our nap!  The dad-person and DD#1 came home just as I got up from nap, and they’d had a very fun time – though, both were stinky and exhausted. 

After all went to bed, I let Phydeaux outside … and then she wouldn’t come back.  Don’t that just drive ya nuts?!  It’s pitch-black in these hills at night and I couldn’t get her to respond to me at all.  Finally, I heard her tearing across the yard at a full run, she was obviously chasing something and defending her territory.

I just wish she’d have chased a rabbit … or an armadillo … or even a deer.  But, noooooooooooooooooo, the puppy is still not out of her yet and she’d chased a SKUNK!!!  Which, of course, I didn’t notice until she’d already gone into the house – whew, one wiff of that stink as she passed me was enough to make me wake ole what’s-his-name.  NOT necessarily my best plan of action, as he was none-too happy with the doggie.  I ran up to the barn and got her travel kennel and placed it under the house – only to realize that she was directly under our bedroom.  ummm, no.  JD went and moved her out into the yard.  But, eeeeewwwww, does our entry and bedroom have a very familiar aroma to it!  We’ll be washing the dog in tomato juice today, as that’s supposed to help take the stink out of them.  Haven’t figured out, yet, what we’ll do with the house – but, you can bet I’ll find something that’ll work!

After life calmed down again, I went back to my sewing room.  I finished the backing for the quilt that I’d completed on Saturday – once again using nearly all of my leftover fabrics up:


And then I pieced together a wall hanging, that’ll be part of the annual BOMquilts.com Christmas in July celebration:


After that, it was a late and quiet dinner and an hour of lovely reading.  Ahhhh, what a great weekend!

Share and Enjoy!

    Leave a Reply